COLLABORATIVE COUPLE THERAPY INTENSIVE
Two Days with Dan Wile in a Small Group Setting
Dan Wile, developer of Collaborative Couple Therapy, has been offering two-day intensives on his approach. Here are the new dates:
Mar 1-2, 2014 (Sat & Sun), Oakland, CA
May 3-4, 2014 (Sat & Sun), Oakland, CA
May 19-20, 2014 (Mon & Tues), NYC
CE hours available. Dan describes the underlying theory of his approach, the set of interventions he uses, and his methods for fighting off the powerful temptation to take sides. Much of the workshop is devoted to role-play demonstrations . Participants who wish to do so will have an opportunity to take a turn as the therapist. We stop the action at various points in the role plays to discuss what the therapist feels about each partner, the immediate therapeutic problem, and strategies for dealing with it.
During this intensive, you will learn how in your couple therapy work to:
- Help partners find their voice
- Turn fights into intimate conversations
- Create a vantage point above the fray
- Empathize with the less likeable partner
- Appeal to partners as consultants in dealing with the problems that arise in the therapy
Comments by past participants about the intensive
- I enjoyed the opportunity to practice the methods in a small group setting. Dan made the group feel safe and supportive. Everyone was encouraged to participate and build on each other’s thoughts.
- A wonderful balance between challenge and support.
- I loved the one-on-one attention Dan gives each participant. It’s a “private conversation” that we’re all privy to. There is so much learning that is embedded in all aspects of this very thoughtful intensive.
- The intensive will live on in my heart and mind for the rest of my career.
- Dan has a remarkable ability to reflect one partner’s concerns while taking those of the other partner into account. He is also an amazingly empathic therapist and I picked up a lot through osmosis.
- The most profound approach I have come across in my 33 years as a psychologist.
- I never knew what time it was and never cared. It was totally engrossing.
Dan Wile, PhD, ABPP, has had thirty years experience as a couple therapist. He has published on psychotherapeutic theory as well as couples therapy, has taught at several graduate programs in the San Francisco Bay Area, gives professional workshops on couples therapy throughout the United States and internationally, and is author of Couples Therapy: A Nontraditional Approach, After the Honeymoon, How Conflict Can Improve Your Relationship, and After the Fight: Using Your Disagreements to Build a Stronger Relationship.
In his book, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, John Gottman, Ph.D., a leading researcher in marital therapy, writes about Daniel Wile: “I love Wile’s writing and thinking. They are entirely consistent with many of my research findings. I think that Wile is a genius and the greatest living marital therapist. I am blessed to have been able to exchange ideas with him.”
ACCREDITATION – 12 CE Credits/Hours sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars
Hours on each day in Oakland: 9am-4:30pm
For information about and to register for the NYC intensive, Contact Chava Levy. ph: 347-743-5997; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about the Oakland intensives, Contact Dan. To register, please fill out the registration form (below) and send a check for $500 for the two-day training (or $300 if you are a student or intern) to Dan Wile, 6119 Acacia Avenue, Oakland, CA 94618. We meet at this address (my home/office). I will email acknowledgement of your registration and information about local hotels (and bed & breakfasts) and directions how to get here.
REGISTRATION FORM FOR THE OAKLAND INTENSIVES
License type______________________ License # __________________State_______________
Please circle in order of your preference which of these dates you can make:
First choice Mar 1-2, 2014 May 19-20, 2014
Second choice Mar 1-2, 2014 May 19-20, 2014